Fire and Rescue Services Manager William Welkom urges residents to keep these safety tips in mind for a successful festive season.
- Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
- Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your fire escape plan.
- Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
- Provide large, deep ashtrays for smokers. Wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.
- Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to bed